There are many plugins that find related posts for WordPress, and I was happy to use one of them in the past. However, WordPress evolves. One of the biggest change was the addition of custom post types. They are very useful and I use them a lot for my own and for client sites. And this is where every related posts plugin I tested failed: They don't support custom post types.
While reviewing the code of several plugins I decided that the Right Thing would be to write a new plugin from scratch. And that's what I did. Key features:
- Depends on PHP5 and MySQL5
- Option to add related posts to the RSS feed
- You can theme the output as you like
- Use fulltext indexes for good performance
- Does caching through post meta, this means zero additional database queries
- Incremental scoring for sites with many posts
- Find related posts, pages and custom post types
- Use different configurations at the same time, useful for different post types
- Internationalized, OO, hopefully well documented and readable
- Score relationships by various MySQL relevance scores or term relationships
Use tags, categories or custom taxonomies
The readme.txt contains extensive documentation. It is possible to create completely custom views of related content, including post thumbnails, date, excerpts etc.
Downloads are available at WordPress.org.
WordPress plugin demos are disabled as I don't use WordPress on this site any more.